Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Young Victoria (2009) [PG] ****



The radiant Emily Blunt is captivating as young Queen Victoria in this lush period film, set in the first half of the 19th Century, chronicling Victoria's ascent to the throne of England and her romance with her future husband Prince Albert (Rupert Friend).

Penned by Oscar-winning screenwriter Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey, Gosford Park, Vanity Fair), the film features an outstanding supporting cast including Paul Bettany as Lord Melbourne, Miranda Richardson as Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent, and Mark Strong as Sir John Conroy, three historical figures who attempted to influence young Victoria in order to achieve their own ends.

Fellowes' screenplay takes what I think is a unique slant on the relationship between Victoria and Albert. Victoria was raised to believe that her primary duty was as Queen, and Fellowes envisioned Albert as primarily seeing himself as husband and father, and Victoria as his wife and mother of his children. Although Victoria is supposed to propose marriage, Albert asserts himself:
Albert: I just got your note. I was riding.
Victoria: Sit, please.
Albert: The park is marvelous.
Victoria: I'm so pleased you like it. I do want you to feel quite at home... I'm sure you're aware why I wished you to come here. Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy really, if you would agree to what I wish.
Albert: And stay with you?
Victoria: And stay with me.
Albert: And marry you?
Victoria: And marry me!
LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

There are several interesting scenes in the third act that support this. In one, Victoria is at her desk, with Albert, Baroness Lehzen (Jeanette Hain) and some other ladies in waiting. Victoria mentions that she needs to talk with Lord Melbourne about something, Albert asks if he can assist and the Baroness makes a rather disparaging comment to which Albert sarcastically thanks her for reminding him that he is only a guest in the palace. In a later scene Victoria and Albert have a fight in their bedroom during which she accuses him of treating her like a child and talking around her, to which he replies that he was only trying to help her avoid another scandal of her making. Then their argument becomes more heated.
Victoria: I will not have my role usurped! I wear the crown! And if there are mistakes they will be my mistakes and no one else will make them! No one, not even you!
Albert: I am leaving before you excite yourself and harm the child.
Victoria: You will go when I dismiss you. I am your queen and I am telling you to stay.
Albert: Good night, Victoria. [exits]
Victoria: [storms over to the door] You may not go! You may not go! I order you to stay here in this room! Albert!
LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

But the scene which really awakens Victoria is later when they are going for a carriage ride:
Albert: For pity's sake, smile, woman. Anyone would think we had quarreled.
Victoria: Don't talk to me.
Just after that an assassin takes a shot at Victoria and she is only saved because Albert throws himself in the path of the bullet.
LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

Later, after the physician has left:
Victoria (sobbing): I'm so sorry! I thought I was going to lose you!
Albert: I don't think he was a very good shot.
Victoria: Why did you do it? So stupid, why did you do it?
Albert: I had two very good reasons. First, I am replaceable and you are not.
Victoria: You are not replaceable to me!
Albert: Second, you're the only wife I've got or ever will have. You are my whole existence and I will love you until my very last breath.
LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

Although there were eight (8) attempts to assassinate Queen Victoria, this first attempt was altered by screenwriter Julian Fellowes for dramatic effect. The assassin, Edward Oxford, was tried for treason but found not guilty by reason of insanity. Also, although he fired two pistols at Victoria, no bullets were ever found, an he claimed that the pistols had only been loaded with gunpowder. After spending several years in a mental institution in London, Oxford was exiled to Australia where he lived the remainder of his life under the name John Freeman, dying in 1900 within a year of Queen Victoria.

And the final scene of the film, when Victoria and Albert enter the ballroom they are announced as: His Royal Highness Prince Albert and Her Majesty Queen Victoria.

If you enjoy British historical dramas, and especially if you enjoyed Keira Knightley and Rupert Friend in Pride & Prejudice, then you will very likely enjoy The Young Victoria.

Labels: biography, drama, history, period, romance, rom-drama-faves
IMDb 72/100    
MetaScore (critics=64, viewers=79)
RottenTomatoes Averages (critics=65, viewers=76) 
Blu-ray    
Wikipedia - Queen Victoria

James Berardinelli's review rated 2.5/4 stars

Netflix


No comments:

Post a Comment